ISSA (Worldwide Cleaning Show) 2013 Highlights
On November 18, 2013, ISSA (Worldwide Cleaning Industry Association) opened their doors to cleaning industry professionals from around the world in Las Vegas, Nevada.
According to Dan Weltin, Editor-in-Chief of Sanitary Maintenance & Contracting Profits magazine, the cleaning industry has never before seen such dramatic changes as it did in 2013. Attendees were able to learn from the educational seminars regarding the major changes to the cleaning industry such as, LEED v4 updates and the implementation of new GHS standards.
The show floor was where distributors and end users alike found more solutions to optimize cleaning due to this year’s record setting amount of exhibitors of more than 680!
LEED v4 Updates:
- LEED v4 is not required until June 1, 2015; if you are looking to get LEED Certified, the time is now (LEED 2009 registration will be available until May 31, 2015). LEED v4 will be more stringent than LEED 2009.
- Prerequisite for LEED EBOM v4 has absorbed the Policy Credit and will offer two options. Option 1- Strategy to reduce energy and water consumption. Option 2- Strategy to address laundry and ware washing.
- Credit 7 regarding Green Cleaning Products must equal 30%-75% of purchases.
- To learn more about the new changes with LEED v4, please visit www.USGBC.org/v4
GHS (Global Harmonized System) Updates:
- MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) becomes SDS (Safety Data Sheet) effective December 1, 2013.
- Label requirements for both primary and secondary containers will change in the near future.
- Worksite placards are required wherever chemicals are stored.
- To learn more about the new changes to GHS- OSHA standards, click here.
Training of new procedures and practices were also offered at ISSA. Training included Commercial Carpet Maintenance Certificate Program, Stone, Masonry and Ceramic Floor Care Certificate Program and GHS, Globally Harmonized System of Classification.
Technology is at the forefront of innovation and new product ideas for cleaning equipment, chemicals and tools. Manufacturers are creating more efficient tools and equipment to optimize cleaning operations. As a result of implementing these innovative cleaning tools, properties will see improved efficiency in the level of cleaning, hence the importance of utilizing a commercial cleaning company that is up-to-date on industry developments.
ISSA 2014 will take place in Orlando, Florida.
Leave A Comment